It’s hard to believe 2016 is almost over. What a year it’s been!
I can honestly say I’m looking forward to a few days off over the December holidays to rest and recuperate from the whirlwind of 2016. Except that over the holidays, I know I’ll be working on the workshops already lined up for January and February…
This year has been wildly successful for me, and since I’m in the business of effective communication, I took a few moments to reflect on whether there is a correlation between my success and my communication abilities and strategy.
The only possible answer is YES!
As you read my articles from the past three years, you may have noticed several constant themes:
- Know your audience
- Build trusting relationships
- Communicate the impact of doing or not doing something
- Ensure your key messages resonate with your audience
- Inspire others into action to create positive change
I could go on…
The bottom line for me is that if you deeply understand your (potential) business partner, then you can serve them more effectively. What do I mean by this? Know what a day in their life looks like, what keeps them awake at night, what their needs and goals are.
And then give them what they need to help them get better results and be more successful.
How did I increase my turnover by 100% this year?
- By communicating with my clients and potential clients with regular frequency to build and nurture a trusting relationship. This means having face-to-face conversations in meetings and giving industry presentations, calling clients and people I met in my business travels to catch up, and sending my newsletter/blogging on a regular basis.
- By giving them proven strategies and techniques that help them, their teams and their organizations. From writing and presenting to interviewing and negotiating, I tailor each workshop to the client’s environment, industry and current pain points.
- By going the extra mile, by delivering quality, and delivering results.
My goal has been and will continue to be to empower international professionals to communicate more clearly, concisely and persuasively… every single day.
So as this year comes to a close – and I know we are all working diligently to complete our tasks for the year – I ask you to take a moment and consider how your communication skills have affected your results and ultimately, your success this year.
If you decide you need to enhance your communication skills in 2017, then read some of the great books out there, participate in a workshop, or get yourself a coach. Start learning some new ideas so you can add to your communication skills “tool basket”. And then take action to put your new skills into practice!
My secret tip for success: taking imperfect action, even in my communication. It moves me and my business forward every day. So don’t wait for the perfect time, the perfect email or the perfect presentation. You’ll spend far too much time waiting, and far less time reaping the rewards of your, and their, action.
Here’s to successfully wrapping up 2016 and to even more results in 2017!